top of page

Permanent Resident Card Renewal

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.


Your PR card needs to be valid when you show it. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You are still a permanent resident if your card expires.


If you are outside Canada, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document to return to Canada. After you arrive, you can apply for a PR card.


Please contact us when you need to renew your PR Card or replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed PR card.

1. Consult your eligibility

2. Complete the application with required documents + photo / pay fees

3. Check application status after submitted

4. Approved / mail your new PR Card to your home address

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
  • You may not return to Canada.


  • Returning by private vehicle (Identification for Canada/United States travel)

There are other documents you can use to enter Canada. Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.


  • Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, train, bus, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not able to travel to Canada.

My mother is seriously ill and I leave Canada soon. My PR card will expire in a few months. Is there any way to process my application urgently?
  • Yes, if your case is one of these cases:

  • your own serious illness,

  • the serious illness of a family member,

  • the death of a family member,

  • a job opportunity, or

  • work related to your current job

  • Even if you qualify, IRCC can’t guarantee your application will be processed urgently or that you will get your PR Card on time.

bottom of page